Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Camp

So this is the third morning here at camp. Jennie, Anne and I have ventured this far with the ladies of INspire Camp at Manidokan, and today is the biggest journey of all: Maryland Heights. And not just the normal way. The long way. The way that is described on the sign as "Strenuous but rewarding." I've always thought that's a perfect way to describe life. Strenuous but rewarding.

At least two of our ladies promised they'd do the rain dance last night. They were hoping we wouldn't be able to hike it. Sadly...for them...the skies are clear and forecasts are on the side of a hike this morning.

Meanwhile, I, and I think Jennie and Anne, are looking forward to this morning's hike. Out only concern is how the ladies will manage. No one wants to listen to hours of complaining. But you know what, we've got a good group this year. It's small (6 girls) and 4 of them are returners from last year (which I find quite hopeful...especially since they say they are certainly coming back next year). Many years we could not do this hike. But this year, I think we can. I hope it is meaningful and memorable for all the right reasons.

My husband has been a rare sight this week...I've seen less of him than I would on a normal week! I think that almost makes it harder. It's not like we're far away from each other. It's just that I've been with the campers. When Chris hasn't been dealing with immediate needs, he's been pondering and struggling with the best ways to share his ideas with his supervisor, who in turn has to make a case with conference officials about why camp needs their help this year and how he has some very tangible changes that will really turn things around so camp will be financially more stable in the future.

Chris walked into a really rough financial situation two years ago, and for all he's done to cut costs while also improving programming, this economy has created a perfect storm. He chose meaningful changes, but those often take time. And so much of this is about building relationships, and that takes time, and is so much more difficult when it's just him. I could go on and on, but I wish I could help. I want to make a case to those making decisions about the importance of this ministry and the need for these changes. I hate not being able to control everything! :-)

Chris does such a good job, and it's hard for me to see things don't always turn out how he wants. There are so many factors he can't control, and though that's life, and the case for all of us, it's seldom fun.

I pray, though, that he will have an opportunity to share his energy, passion and ideas about all this with the people who make the decisions, and that they will also be invested in the vision he has for Manidokan!

As for me, my investment today in Manidokan is spending the morning and early afternoon with a group of ladies who may whine a bit, but I hope will learn a little bit more today of how sometimes hard work, does in fact pay huge dividends.

No comments:

Post a Comment