Friday, July 17, 2009

Calvary Commons and Other Updates

First off, many thanks to all the Calvary folks who have already sent pictures for my "Frederick Photo Challenge." I've gotten some great pics already, and yes, I have been able to guess many of them. Others, well, I'm working on it...! :-)

If you haven't gotten your picture in yet, you've got till the end of July! You can send/bring it to the church office or e-mail it to me.

Second, just wanted to let you know I'll be "out of the office" next week, July 19-24 as I'm volunteering for my week of summer camp. Also, August 2-8 I will be in Pittsburgh at the Stephen Ministries leaders training. Both of these weeks I'll have my cell phone and e-mail though, so you can still get in touch with me.

Finally, I wanted to pass along some news of a cool study I'm leading this year starting in September called Calvary Commons. I'm especially advertising it to young adults, but it's not just a young adult study, so all are invited! I just figured the novelty of it might be particularly appealing to young adults. But I hope lots of people from lots of ages, backgrounds and perspectives will come, because that's what makes the discussions really interesting! Here's the info:

We’ll be using lots of different sorts of materials and topics. The group will meet off site, like at a coffee shop (ideas?) and will be a discussion-based group. Ideas for material for this year include Adam Hamilton’s Confronting the Controversies, the novel Blue Like Jazz and my husband’s idea—a series on the enduring themes from favorite children’s book (he’s a fan of The Little Engine that Could). We’ll work through stuff at whatever pace the group finds most fitting, and we’ll most of all look at how these readings and themes apply to our lives. I’m planning to start with the Christians controversies book, and draw out the topics over a couple discussions, formatting our discussions so even if someone hasn’t had a chance to read that chapter, they’d be able to follow and share in the discussion.

Calvary Commons is currently scheduled for Wednesdays at 7 p.m., mostly because there will be other studies at church that evening in case anyone needed childcare.

No comments:

Post a Comment