Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Why I Love Calvary

Lately, I've been running into a number of clergy colleagues who I haven't seen since Annual Conference--and who inevitably ask, "So how is the new appointment? How are things at Calvary?" I thought I'd share some of my own thoughts about Calvary--just over 6 months into my time here.

-We have a great staff. I could say a lot about everyone, but I mostly want to say that Joyce is awesome, and she makes my job a lot easier and the congregation a lot better for all her work.

-I am blessed to have Ken for a senior pastor. He is gracious and is a wonderful guide for a young pastor. We are very different (when I tell anyone this who knows both of us, they nod in agreement, so I know this is true)--but we work together well, and his willingness to let me run with projects is truly a gift. I'm a pretty high-strung person sometimes, and though he may not always agree with me (I'm often wrong, and frequently impatient) he never makes me feel anything less than a true colleague.

-The folks at Calvary are so willing to help. I've yet to have a problem getting help when needed, and often, people volunteer to help without me even asking, or with only the slightest hint of a request. A few examples: Bert Edmonston volunteered to help host our all-day charge conference hosting--even with the heating out--and all without me ever asking; Nancy Dobbs has not only created art pieces for sermons and Advent, but also recently coordinated an art series we're going to use for Lent; tons of folks help with meals, special events, and regular committees--and all with great excitement, commitment--and joy!

-Calvary folks are willing to try new things, and even when we may disagree or struggle with details, we are all trying, earnestly, to do God's will as we grow as disciples and transform out community and world.

-People are, it seems, to me, honestly excited to be part of what's happening at Calvary--and that is infectious, and gives us staff energy to press on.

-My husband and I are SO excited at the prospect of raising our (future, no, I'm not pregnant yet) children at Calvary. We think the kids and youth at Calvary are pretty darn cool, and we hope our kids are just as awesome as the ones who Calvary has already raised.

-Peal bells are cool.

-We have a lot of new things on the horizon--from a new casual/contemporary/alternative worship service (we're calling it Koinonia, which means "community" in Greek) to working more intentionally and closely with Centennial Memorial United Methodist Church (God is doing AWESOME things there, just down the street, and we're excited to be a part of what they're doing), to bringing our "new" visitation pastor on board (for more info on these, come to worship this Sunday, January 31!

-I have a dedicated parking space. And an office,

-I get to be part of the downtown Frederick community. Which is quite possibly one of the coolest place ever.

This is just a start. Most of all, thanks to ALL of you at Calvary for making these first six months awesome. I can't wait to see what the next six months, and the coming year, brings!

No comments:

Post a Comment