Monday, December 21, 2009

Snow

As I write this, I can look out our window and see our house is surrounded by snow-covered fields. Even our driveway, though passable and plowed, is still snow-covered. The concept of driving ON TOP of snow is very foreign to the Marylander in me, but my Minnesotan husband assures me this is reasonably safe, and at any rate, he's been the one driving on it!

It's so disorienting having not had worship Sunday! Between the snow, and the concern about people being out near church or even digging out of their own driveways, and the fact that a snow emergency in Frederick eliminates all our on-street parking, meant there really wasn't any other choice. I don't know how it is for other people, but certainly for me, my week leads up to and follows after Sunday worship, so any disruption to that schedule just puts me off-kilter.

That being said, I must say I love this snow. For one thing, it's made my husband a lot more Christmas-y! It's hard getting his excited about Christmas when all around it just looks...brown.

Also, I've rediscovered a love of sledding. The question for us was where to sled--there are so many great hills around camp. We finally settled on the hill close to our house--and after two days of using it, our sled run has gotten REALLY fast...next time we use it will likely launch my husband into the trees at the bottom of it. :-)

We were excited that Gary, my husband's father, was able to make it in last night. He'd driven from Chicago (where he'd been visiting family) and we weren't sure if the weather would allow him to come straight through, but not-surprisingly, it turns out the worst of the roads were close to us!

It's definitely a different experience being on a church staff for Christmas. Having other people doing a lot of the different parts means I can really focus on the specific things I've got on my plate, and still have time to spend with family. Though there is also a lot of planning I'm working on for next year---which is really exciting stuff and I can't wait to see things develop!

I've got a few more tasks yet for Christmas Eve (including making more ribbons for the youth since they were a bigger hit than I'd anticipated--confused? Come see what they're for at the 7 pm service!)...and I can't wait to celebrate Christmas Eve at Calvary. I hope to see you all there! And maybe snow yet on the ground...

1 comment:

  1. You are quite right about the dis-orientation of snow Sundays. In 38 years of ministry, this is the first time I remember the Sunday before Christmas being canceled. Every church on Easton District except 1 was canceled as far as I know. Lots of pageants got cancelled. I have wondered what families did, snowed in. Also, wondered what lonely people did. I envy your sledding. No hills on Eastern Shore. Your description of sledding reminded me of Clark Griswald in Christmas Vacation, and the disc scene.

    Merry Christmas

    Bill Sterling

    ReplyDelete