Thursday, December 3, 2009

Prosper the Work of Our Hands

This week i have been reading through the daily Advent readings appointed in the lectionary--and which we included in the study guide for this year's Adult Advent Sunday School class. (Follow the link HERE)

For the first few days of the week, the three-a-day readings included Psalm 90. You know, one of the really cool things about scripture, and I think one way we understand the Bible as be living, is the way we find new nuances or meanings each time we read the Bible--even the same scripture. I have read Psalm 90 before, but what really grabbed my attention this time is the very end of it: "Prosper the work of our hands."

I have to admit this this has been a somewhat overwhelming week for me. Nothing bad, but there has just been an avalanche of things to do, issues to ponder, and meetings to attend. I've gotten home after 9 a couple nights (and after 8 the other night so far this week), and after a while that really starts to get to you. I've been shorter with people, especially my husband, and I have relied upon every stress-management tactic I know to stay focused and somewhat balanced (I've had some really good workouts this week!). Fortunately, this intense pace is not the norm. I mean, there's busy, then there's frantic. And this first days of this week were the latter. The good news is things are calming down somewhat...the bad news is I know the pace will be more hectic than normal--as it always is--from now through Christmas Eve. And that's fine. It's the pastor's version of the Superbowl :-) We train all year for this...:-)

In the midst of this though, those words "prosper the work of our hands" have really been encouraging and supportive. You see, some days, once I get my schedule and to-do list laid out, the hours fly by and sometimes I reach the end of the day and wonder where all my time went. All of us have those days. There are days when my work seems trivial, and the tasks minor but necessary. There are days when it is hard to see the fruit of all the business. Those days are days it is good to be reminded that what we do (in fact, ALL we do) is only significant because it is done in the name of Christ, and only by the power of the Holy Spirit do our efforts create any lasting and beneficial impact. We could be the greatest and most efficient at whatever we're doing, but it means nothing if God is not at work in and through what we're doing.

Think 1 Corinthians 13...the part about if I speak in the tongues of men and of angels but have not love...

The incredible thing is that we are not independent contractors in this. No. We are part of God's work, and God is able to take our focused days and our hectic days, our major accomplishments and our small victories...and yes, even our failures, and prosper that. All of that. Make it all into something that matters, that helps build up God's people and kingdom.

One of the truths about life, and certainly about ministry, is that we do not always see the results of our work. We do the best we can, and we trust God to make of our best something that matters.

Today, I'm hoping to slow down a bit at least. And in the midst of the never-ending to-do list, to be grateful to be part of what God is doing. And I pray, with the psalmist, that God will continue to prosper the work of our hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment