Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Tuesday Mornings

I love Tuesday mornings. I mean, there's always the chance they'll be horrible, but you know, generally, they're really energizing for me.

You see, I take Mondays off. Like anyone, there's always the twinge of regret Monday night that I can't sleep in every day or generally be lazy with my husband, but Tuesday morning comes, and I'm off to the office.

What has been happening at least thus far Tuesday mornings at Calvary is pretty awesome. I come in, with the goal in mind of catching up, and I end up spending the first hour or two of the day touching base with the other staff, asking questions and tossing out ideas that have been marinating in my mind since Friday, or after talking with people Sunday, and I see what their thoughts are.

Tuesdays are the days I learn a lot, and the days that ideas really start to take shape. Tuesdays are possibility days. And with the whole week left to flesh out things.

This morning, I spent some time talking with Bob, our Financial Secretary (and general go-to-guy) about budgeting, giving, etc. I had some questions about the Sunday counts, what information was where, and what patterns were. A few years ago, I would have been lost, but after a bit of hands-on experience, now I just keep wanting to learn more. We talked about visioning (we have a visioning retreat coming up for the church) and priorities for the congregation. Very interesting.

Of course, I spent the morning touching base with Joyce, our Administrative Assistant, about topics to numerous to name. And I talked with her and our youth pastor, Katrina Marie, about how our sanctuary and worship can be more friendly to people with hearing impairments. I learned about something called a "telecoil." Never knew. Now I'm totally intrigued.

When I finally sat down at my desk, I saw the e-mails about the kickball schedule (YAY!) for the team my husband and I have joined for the fall to meet people in the community, and I talked with one of the talented visual artists at the church to schedule a time later in the week to have coffee to discuss ideas for a sermon coming up in September, and just generally ideas to incorporate visual arts into what we do.

All that in two hours! That's why I love Tuesday mornings!

Now...off to follow up on all these ideas and tasks...what a cool start to the day, and how amazing to see all that God is doing in all these situations!

No comments:

Post a Comment