Friday, August 7, 2009

Frederick

So I just spent some time googling Frederick. What can I say? Still want to learn more! Of course (perhaps I should be embarrassed but I'm not!) I ventured onto the Wikipedia page. All I can say is that I think someone from the Schley family has bee on there adding stuff...!

I've been working some this afternoon (took a break from training because, as probably anyone who know me can tell you I probably don't need more training on how to be assertive...) on thinking about the community as we prepare for a leadership retreat Sept. 4-5 to do some visioning.

Now, I've new, very new to Calvary. And I haven't talked to nearly enough people or learned remotely enough to form my own ideas about a vision for Calvary...other than that which I have heard repeated in a lot of different ways from almost everyone I've talked to. If I were to summarize, it's something like this: Calvary supports the Frederick community through its involvement in the community, engagement in authentic relationships within and beyond the walls of the church, and connects the local community to the wider world. That's not a well worded vision statement, and it's still not the best summary, but you can see what it's circling around, at least.

So it's vitally important, if Calvary is really to capitalize on its centrality in the Frederick community, to understand that community. And to see it as lots of different people see it. So I wanted to come up with some questions that could be asked of people as we try to gather that info. There are tons of questions that could be asked, but I wanted to keep it simple but gather some really key info. Here is what I came up with. Five questions:

1. How long have you live or worked in Frederick, and how did you happen to come here?
2. How would you describe Frederick to someone considering moving here?
3. What are three of the greatest needs in the community?
4. What are three of the best things about Frederick?
5. What do you think Frederick churches should know, have or be doing?

What do you think? If you live or work in Frederick, how would you answer?

No comments:

Post a Comment