Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Finishing Well

Everyone talks about "finishing well" when you are leaving an appointment. The problem is, no one seems to agree on what that means. And we'll all allow for the fact that each setting has a difference need in that "finishing" period.

I'm a planner. Now, I'm not crazed about it...I hope. I realize that you can't plan everything. I just figure that if I can plan what I can, then when the unexpected happens, at least you've got fewer moving pieces. After struggling when I started in ministry to get into a routine that worked for me, I found that planning out sermon series and programming months out really kept me motivated and driving forward.

So imagine my difficulty with this whole "finishing well." Trying to stay as focused when I've got only weeks left as I can when I've got a whole year ahead, is particularly difficult for me. Part of the problem, I think, is that I over-planned this transition time weeks ago. There were major issues that needed to be addressed which too far less to resolve than I'd feared. So what I thought would end up being weeks of meetings capped with a charge conference resolved itself in a week of meetings. Two weeks ago.

If I wasn't moving this summer, I'd be looking at fall programming and preparing for adult studies, special events, etc. But that would be my appointment, and at any rate, in the four years I've been here people have come to leadership in the congregation who have the children's ministry, at least, running well. I'd like there to be more for youth, but I don't want to start a new pattern for their program now...only to have it changed in a month.

I've got visitation to do before I go, but I've got a plan for doing that, so there's no reason to panic there.

I do well when I'm driving hard. So this waiting and easing out is difficult for me. I think I am finishing well, but when you're used to going non-stop, it's hard to equate "easing out" with "finishing well". I think I just don't function very efficiently at all though, when I'm not go, go, go.

The good news is, I'm totally swamped with stuff for Annual Conference--between contacting retirees and the families of deceased, trying to tie together details for special meals. With any luck I'll dig myself out from most of that today.

My husband Chris knew I'd have a hard time with this period. He knows how impatient I am. Once I've made a decision or a decision has been made, I want to move on. But it's good to be forced to slow down and make sure you're ready sometimes. I'll survive. And with any luck, I'll not just survive, but maybe also make a respectable attempt at finishing well.

No comments:

Post a Comment