Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Evangelism

Today at Discipler group (a monthly clergy meeting each pastor in my conference has to attend) our topic, for the third month in a row, was evangelism. Now, I must admit, I keep myself interested in these some months by casting a critical eye, which may not be the best thing to do, but it keeps me focused for the 2 1/2 hours at least.

In addition to Discipler groups, I keep bumping up against this (as a topic, of course any Christian should always be bumping up against this) in other areas. It's our theme for Annual Conference this year--and I'm on the worship committee. It's the talk of young adult ministry discussions in the conference, on and on.

In all of this though, I have to say I'm a bit troubled. Now let me say I nowhere claim to e an expert on this. I'm not. At all. I took one course on it in seminary--Women and Evangelism--so I could perhaps tell you more about Catherine Booth than the latest evangelism lingo. But there are something that just bother me...here goes:

-Our definition of evangelism. Look, advertising can be good. And for people looking for something, a clever ad or technique may get them to come to your church. But I am absolutely convinced that the vast majority of real, effective evangelism takes place in the context of authentic relationships. Someone who is not coming to a church, it seems to me, is unlikely to come because you've washed their car. They might, but I don't think that's a logical "plan" to invite people into relationship with God. And I think it might even let Christians off the hook by leading them to think that by advertising they've evangelized. Now the critical among you (I'm one of you, I understand) will remind me that evangelism itself is basically the communication of a message. As is advertising. But I think you know what I mean. I don't want us to congratulate ourselves for an awesome flyer.

-Targeting people. I will never forget Jim Walker, a founder of the Hot Metal Bridge community in Pittsburgh, talking at our conference young adult event a couple years ago. He started by explaining that no one likes to be targeted. Which at least some of us got the humor of, since he'd been invited to come talk on something he fundamentally disagreed with the approach of. Personally, I'm in the church and I don't like being targeted. "Young adult" aimed activities make me even more critical. After all, if it's precisely aimed at me, I'm much pickier about whether I wanted to be part or not. I'm far more patient with activities I know have to appeal to a variety of people. I get that. For evangelism, I think this hits at a point that Christian really struggle with. DO NOT (hear me, DO NOT) walk up to someone you don't know and start talking to them about Jesus. I know you think it's important, and it is. But such an approach evidences that THAT person is not all that important to you (which is very un-Jesus-ish). AND...don't become someone's friend in order to convert them. You wouldn't want someone to just be your friend so that you'd change your political views and start agreeing with them. So don't make their faith journey a notch in your belt.

-Authenticity. This is related to the above point. You know that old saying, "People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care"? Works here. Don't try to "target" someone and pretend they don't realize what you're doing. Most people are just going to be reasonably polite...to a point. Don't do something that's not you...it will show. If you're not comfortable in a place, don't try talking to people there about Jesus. Please. It just reinforces their notion that your beliefs are quite different (in a not great way). Let's say God's put it on your heart to minister at a bar or something. If you're not comfortable there, I think you ought to go and get comfortable before you approach it as a place to share your faith.

I guess in all of this, I'm just weary (and tired) when Christian evangelism is kitschy. And I am concerned that if I am, a lot of other people--many of them who might really connect with an authentic relationship with others and God--probably are too. Honestly, I'm tempted to suggest we stop talking about evangelism and start just getting comfortable in our own skins, and stop talking to as many church people (which not only prevents us from interacting with non-Christians, but makes us, I think, a bit uninteresting).

One of the lines I've heard in this whole discussion was basically, "Well, of course as Christians we're supposed to invite people into relationship with Jesus." Not to be too ridiculous, but let me suggest that's not our primary goal. The Westminster Catechism's first question is, "What is the chief end of man?" The answer (and thank you Duke for indoctrinating this into my head) is "to glorify God and enjoy God forever." I'm pretty sure if we thought and lived out this more, we'd be DOING a lot more evangelism.

When I was in res life, by the third (if not second) year of training, the use of "empower" and "community" became such a joke that we'd develop "outlawed words" and, at least in our group, we had to go through each day without using those same words...like community, etc. I wonder what would happen if we tried the same with some of our catch words in the church...like evangelism...community...redemption...and had to only show them by our actions...

No comments:

Post a Comment