Friday, February 27, 2009

Jobs

My husband Chris has been going through the process of finding a new food service/housekeeping manager for the camp he directs, Manidokan. I've helped a bit, as I "long ago" became Chris' interview partner when he's hiring. This has been a valuable experience for me, honestly, getting me experience I would not have gotten in my current appointment really. Plus, I've done a lot of hiring (albeit on a smaller scale) in college and grad school.

That said, I wasn't thinking this search would be much different. And in many ways it isn't. But boy, what a thing to have a spot to fill in the current economic crisis. We've received--in only one week's time of advertising in only two (local) papers--over four dozen applications. Twice as many people have called the office. Several mornings the past week, Chris has done nothing but field phone calls on this.

It's been incredibly difficult to wade through the stack of people who we're sure could probably do the job. Any of them, in a different year, might have a good chance. But there are just so MANY that we have the ability to real sort through. All I can say is I'm glad I'm not currently in the job pool.

I've been concerned though about the poor quality of some people's resumes and applications. A few I've wanted to call and say, "Look, I think you're probably a really great person, but your resume is nothing that's going to impress." I'm not talking about high-level fine-tuning. I'm not an HR expert. I'm talking basics. Like don't hand-write it. Or...at least make an attempt to send something remotely formatted like a resume.

As Chris and I have struggled with the difficulty (and downright yucky feeling) of merely stacking these resumes (and hence people) into yes, no, maybe (with the requisite discussion of why)...we have been struck by how much uncertainty, pain and stress is all around us.

This led to the beginning of a discussion last night about what we and our congregation might be able to do. It was kicked off during our Disciple I class this week on Luke, and Jesus' focus on the least, lost and last.

Chris is really excited about this, and I'm looking forward to helping however I can as we figure out what we're talking about. A support groups. Resources. Networking. We're still really trying to think through this, and Sunday, Chris will be inviting the congregation for volunteers to help think through it as well...

I'm excited to see where this will go...

No comments:

Post a Comment