Wednesday, June 9, 2010

A Man Fell Into a Hole...

This Sunday's sermon is the final in our "Rethink Church" series. The question is "What if church could lighten your load?" and Pastor Ken will be preaching on the text of the parable of the Good Samaritan. We've decided to use the story from West Wing (the same story is told in different ways in different stories) of a man who fell into a hole. I just thought I'd share it to get you thinking in prep for Sunday as an opportunity to reflect on how we as church light be able to lighten each other's and others' loads...




In #32 Noël, Leo tells Josh the following story (Josh refers to it when talking to Leo in "Bartlet for America"):
    "This guy's walking down the street when he falls in a hole. The walls are so steep he can't get out.
    "A doctor passes by and the guy shouts up, 'Hey you. Can you help me out?' The doctor writes a prescription, throws it down in the hole and moves on.
    "Then a priest comes along and the guy shouts up, 'Father, I'm down in this hole can you help me out?' The priest writes out a prayer, throws it down in the hole and moves on
    "Then a friend walks by, 'Hey, Joe, it's me can you help me out?' And the friend jumps in the hole. Our guy says, 'Are you stupid? Now we're both down here.' The friend says, 'Yeah, but I've been down here before and I know the way out.'"
(Passage as quoted here: http://westwing.bewarne.com/queries/story.html)

No comments:

Post a Comment