Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Memories

Today, one of the things on my to-do list was to track down some suggestions of book on Revelation for one of our adult classes who is preparing to study it. I love Revelation. Like, seriously love it. Not the crazy interpretations of Revelation, but the actual, scholarly, textural interpretations of it. My love if Revelation is due entirely to my seminary Greek professor, Love Seacrest, who had us spend our entire second semester of Greek translating Revelation. And let me tell you, translating a book from the Greek makes you see it in a whole new light.

You see, the problem with many interpretations of Revelation is that they assume Revelation has a purpose/intent that it clearly does not. And if you start of track, you surely aren't going to stumble back ON track in a book as confusing at Revelation.

At any rate, this search led me deep into my computer archives (having not studied Revelation much lately, I'd forgotten what books I'd used then) to find my Revelation term paper. Now, I still think it's brilliant. As I remember, my professor wasn't quite as impressed, although I think I did reasonably well. And I think I was pretty proud of myself for incorporating a diagram into a seminary term paper too!

So...I thought I'd post this paper and another (one of my seminary favorites, John Wesley's Ecclesiology Today) here in case you ever get REALLY bored. You can see them by following the links to Google Docs below. But be warned--they're OLD work of mine, and I think I must have spoken (at least written) differently in seminary...lots moe big words than I think I do now. But at any rate...

A second year paper on Revelation 13:5-8

A third year paper on John Wesley's Eccelsiology for the United Methodist Church today (still one of my favs from seminary days)

Neither paper reflect edits (both minor and some major) that were suggested by professors and, in the case of the ecclesiology paper, subsequent readers. So I apologize in advance for any mistakes or misstatements.

No comments:

Post a Comment