Saturday, April 25, 2009

That Which Is New

So I just logged on to Blogger and realized I could set up to SMS text to this blog. Fun. Which I think makes it essentially like Twitter (in theory, if you wanted) at least for my page. I'm all about technology, but now that all the different sites are learning from each other what works, some of the elements of Blogger, Twitter and Facebook are becoming increasingly similar...perhaps someday I'll have to choose...

I'm catching back up after (1) Holy Week and (2) being away on vacation in Minnesota with my husband Chris. That post-Easter week is a really great time, I've learned for a break for a pastor, and also comes at a good time for Chris, being before the summer gets into full swing and all.

It was a lot of fun to visit with Chris' parents, to meet lots of his friends for the first time as well, and to see the sights of his youth. Chris got to grow up in one house nearly his whole life (I can't even imagine!) so it was fun to see that, to see his church, to visit the camp he attended and worked at, etc. I could post a ton more about the trip...perhaps I'll get around to downloading pictures, and will post those, which will help illustrate better at any rate.

As soon as I got back into things, though, I discovered what most people re-learn after returning from each vacation--the mound of work you return to makes you, for a moment at least, wonder whether it was even worth it. Well, the trip was totally worth it for me, but I find myself now, on top of playing catch-up, really digging into the plans for the coming months and preparing for the pastoral transition at Jefferson/Doubs. That in itself is a beast. And that on top of the regular duties of the pastorate, my work with the annual conference worship committee, using spare time to help Chris with camp prep...it just stays busy. But the up side of having a lot to do, is that it also means you will have accomplished A LOT when it's done (I like checking things of lists...)

My final Sunday at Jefferson will be June 21. As I looked at worship planning this week, tried to get a handle on my calendar, and tried to get a firm idea on pacing everything out, I know that these (less than) two months will fly by.

All that said, however, I'm very excited for this transition. It will be a good one for the Jefferson/Doubs charge, and a great new opportunity for Chris and I. We're looking forward to getting to know the folks at Calvary, though in all that I have on my plate, thinking too much about my new appointment is taking back seat at the moment. There will be some of that in the coming months, but July 1 will be here before I know it.

I sat down this week and started making progress on the "check list" of items to prepare for the new pastor. And as long as that is (three pages) I also realized there are things I need to pass on that aren't listed! I worry I'll have a novel or something by the time I'm done. That's better, though, I figure, than not. The more information to pass on the better. For example, it took me MONTHS to figure out there were two locations of switches for the sanctuary. Who knew?!! Well, apparently everyone but me! They all though I knew! I plan to show Paul, the new pastor, BOTH! Of, and also that the island in the kitchen at Jefferson is one wheels and moves. That one surprised me too...

This weekend my brother Jordan and sister Liz are at our house. Chris has a BIG weekend at Manidokan, and today was full of ropes so he needed the extra help. It's nice to be able to see them, and I can't wait to my brother Daniel graduates from Drew (with his MDiv) in a couple weeks and moves to camp (he's the chaplain for the summer)!

There are so many other things I want to post, but I'll have to dive into those next week. For now, I've got to polish things off for Sunday, hang out with the fam., and try not to melt in this 90+ weather (in April?!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment