Tuesday, October 21, 2008

What I Miss this Election Season

So our news is filled with all things political these days (well, when they're not talking the economy...or what celebrity is getting divorced now). For me, politics has always been in my blood. Even when I was a child, talking politics was part of our family's discussions, and it has continued to be so. As a teenager, I worked the polls at our local polling place along with my mother, who one year was the polling place coordinator for several sites...so I got one. I passed out flyers and for several primary and general elections, I had the joy or learning at the feet of more experienced associates---men who had been working in local and state campaigns for longer than my mother had been alive, it seemed! All of this was when I was planning to go into politics. It was exciting, and to be honest, it all still is. Through the Baltimore City student government, and as a student member on the school board, I got to see up close and personal the political world, which both excited and concerned me.

Then I heard a call to ministry. And I was reminded of our family's firm adherence to neutrality in public, especially for my father. You see, despite my mother's political involvement and my own father's passion on politicla issues, we never put a sign in our yard, on our car, or otherwise paraded our politics. My father preached on issues but never candidates. And let me tell you, when you are passionate about politics, it really is something to have to be that thoughtful. I mean, so many people parade around their politics, and if they remain "neutral" it's usually an effort at politeness. For a pastor, there are myriad reasons to be publically neutral...all of them very good ones that some pastors would perhaps be better served to take seriously.

So here I am...desperately wanting to wear t-shirts and have bumper stickers like my siblings, and well, a lot of other people. But this is also a reminder to me of the fleeting nature of even these elections. Because whoever wins, I will still be the pastor of people who are all going to vote a variety of ways. Goodness knows just talking about issues can ruffle feathers (I ventured to address the gambling/slots issue this past Sunday, and certainly some weren't thrilled). The other thing is, none of us really know what the future holds, and we all struggle--or at least should--to know whether the same qualities or beliefs that attract us to a candidate are actually indicative of their future leadership. Elections are in some ways an exercise in faith. Or hope at least. Hope that if we all try to be grown-ups about this and learn the issues (and not just the personalities) of the candidates, we will make a good choice. And of course, we all hope everyone else makes as wise of a choice (i.e. same) as us!

And when all of this is over, we still have to live together...so I hope we can all take a deep breath as we head into this campaign season...and maybe think a bit about how our behavior is seen by others during this whole process.

No comments:

Post a Comment