Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Doing the Work of Ananias

This year, I am revisiting a daily devotional a seminary friend gave me years ago, A Guide to Prayer for Ministers and Other Servants by Rueben Job and Norman Shawchuck.

Today’s reading was the conversation of Saul (Acts 9:1-22).

I have read this passage many times before, but as is the case with the Bible, this living word of God, it struck me anew today.

At first I was captured by the introduction to scene, “During the journey, as [Saul] approached Damascus, suddenly a light from heaven encircled him.” This Lent, I’m using a journey theme for Arden UMC—and I have been working through thematic and planning details this week, so I thought, “A-ha, that is my take away today.” I think you have to be quite type-A to be so results-oriented about your daily devotional.

But of course one of the benefits of a structured devotional or reading plan is that you don’t just do what seems at first to suit you. So I read on (I was at that point only 3 verses into a reading 22 verses long).

This reading is about Saul’s conversion. It says so right in the subtitles the translators inserted. SEE---!

But today I was struck by how this is also about Ananias.

Ananias has this really powerful ministry here. You see Saul is converted and called not just through this incredibly powerful encounter with Jesus, but also through the care, guidance and healing ministry of Ananias.

A cursory glance at scripture and scholarly resources reveals that we don’t know much at all about Ananias. And while we have many questions about Paul (previously Saul), we do know far more about him than Ananias. Like an entire galaxy more. A lot more.

Paul is the early church rock star. Ananias is, well, the guy who helps get him started.

As I pondered this, I was reminded again of how we talk about each having different gifts and callings. I reflected on the gift it has been for me and many of my colleagues to be part of the work of the Board of Ordained Ministry and the District Committee on Ministry.

Any annual conference has its rock stars. Any denomination does. Many (perhaps too many) want to be Pauls. We all have different gifts and different callings—even those called to the same orders. Some are called to be Pauls. Some to be Ananiases. Some to a mixture of both, or a totally different way of serving and leading.

Today’s reading was an opportunity for me to give thanks for all who have done Ananias work in my life—helping bring me to greater healing and wholeness in my ministry, as well as discernment as I entered ordained ministry and along the way. I also give thanks for the opportunities I have had to do some Ananias work. It is good, difficult but deeply rewarding work.


I invite you to take a moment or two today to give thanks for those who have done some Ananias ministry in your life. And also to reflect on the gifts, talents and passion God has given you, and where and how you are called to live that out, as we all live into the calls God has placed upon our lives by virtue of our baptisms.

No comments:

Post a Comment