Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Giving Thanks for My Village

Today is the day. Today I will join the delegation of clergy and laity from the Baltimore-Washington Conference who are leaving for a two week trip to Zimbabwe, where we will preach, help lead Pastors School, and strengthen the connection we have with them—both by virtue of our conferences’ historic relationship, but also because we are brothers and sisters in Christ, and that’s what family does.

The trip for me involves not just a fun and powerful time but also a parenting watershed—my longest stretch away from our girls, Anna (4 ½) and Mary (1 nearly 2). The preparations for the trip have been lengthy, mostly focusing on preparing the girls, my husband, and my in laws who will be helping, for these two weeks. My house has never been clearer (since kids, at least), and I know they will have a fun couple of weeks as well. Plans for my church, Arden, have been attended too, pastoral coverage arranged (Thanks, Rev. Ken Walker!), preachers arranged, thanks to our awesome lay speakers Ed Tryon and Carol Beebe, and a host of other details…and, what isn’t done just isn’t done.

While in Zimbabwe, I will have the opportunity to preach twice, teach once at Pastors School and lead a breakout session. I’ll post more details as we get going and those days come, but I have pondered and prayed for months to consider (even before I knew exactly what our assignments would be) what I, a young white woman from the United States might have to share or say to pastors and people whose lives are in many ways different than mine. Of course, we are apt to focus more on differences, and I have also then pondered the many ways we are the same. I have given thanks that when I have in the past used phrases like, “The Early Church fathers said…” I am sharing teachings that tie all of our faith traditions together. More so, as I read scripture I am struck by how the people I will meet have also studied these texts for years. I look forward to sharing together about common understandings as well as how our life experiences shape our readings of these texts in unique ways. This will be true not only of the people we meet from Zimbabwe, but also as I get to know my travel companions better. This is why I love leading Disciple I Bible study so much—you may even know people reasonably well but find a depth of richness as you read scripture together and reflect on God.

I am also powerfully reminded today that “It takes a village…” applies to our entire lives. Our preaching theme this Sunday, as the clergy in our group each go to different local churches, is “A Harvest of Thanksgiving.” One of the points I will touch on is that just as John writes, “If anyone boasts, “I love God,” and goes right on hating his brother or sister, thinking nothing of it, he is a liar. If he won’t love the person he can see, how can he love the God he can’t see? The command we have from Christ is blunt: Loving God includes loving people. You’ve got to love both.” (1 John 4:20-21, The Message) I think the same is true of our relationship with the people we know. Being grateful is about looking beyond ourselves. Admitting that we are not, in fact, self-made people and that even in times when we think we are, there are so many people who have laid groundwork upon which we stand. If we cannot offer thanksgiving for the people who surround us, how can we truly offer thanksgiving to God? Being thankful requires an outward focus. I am convinced the opposite of thanksgiving is not ungratefulness, but pride. A focus on what one has and can and will do oneself. This is a distorted view of ourselves, others and God.

My village, as I prepare for this trip, includes many people. I cannot name them all. The village includes:
  • My husband, who does actually need me to have done anything to prepare, but truly could have just picked up where I left off (I just thought it was polite and kind to help prep a bit) J I hear not all husbands are like this. I am so blessed mine is.
  • My in-laws, who will be here the entire time I’m gone and will help get the girls to and from school, and get them to bed at night
  • Our girls’ teachers, who are always awesome but who have also helped me get things set to be away, who I know will provide the love and consistency the girls need while I’m gone, and who today, when I started crying as I dropped off the girls, gave me hugs
  • The camp staff, who even today are picking up slack so Chris can take me to the airport
  • My family—particularly my mom, sister Liz and brother Jordan (and Jordan’s girlfriend Melissa), who step up wherever. I can’t even list all the ways.
  • My colleagues, who fill in wherever needed.
  • All my family, friends and church folk, who are lifting me and our team in prayer
  • My Arden church family, who have helped me prepare in so many ways, and who are ready and able to step in for needs that may arise while I am away…and for their fervent prayers


There are really just so many. If I missed you, I apologize, please know you are held is a dear place in my heart as well, but my mind is just racing a bit too much this morning as I prepare.

I anticipate having internet during most of the trip, and I will try to post updates as I can (and when I actually have anything of interest to share). I will probably be posting to my blog, to Facebook, and Instagram. If you have questions, of course, feel free to post as comments and I’ll reply as I can.


Thank you for your prayers today and throughout our trip! May this indeed be a time of overflowing thanksgiving, and God’s use of us to God’s glory!
------------------------
By the way--in case you've seen the news and you are wondering, we are not flying United. So, knock on wood, their stoppage shouldn't affect us. By the grace of God... :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment