Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Stamps: Who Knew?

In the midst of the passing of my father last month, we received so many gestures and glimpse of graciousness and generosity. Friends, family, church members, colleagues, etc. who travelled, some great distances, to be with us at the visitation and/or service. Generous gifts in Dad's memory to the ASP work of Mill Creek Parish. Food, flowers, etc. And cards--oh the cards! Each was such a loving reminder of all whose lives Dad touched, but also of the love and support we have as well.

One of the more random things I received, tucked in a card from someone whose paths I've crossed in conference work, was a sheet of stamps. Forever stamps, to be exact. I was very grateful, and knew they would be used, but I'd never heard of sending someone stamps before. But you know what, I'm now convinced this is a brilliant idea, probably for lots of situations, but esp. for someone who has experienced a loss.

Here's the thing. I didn't feel up to doing thank you notes at first. There was so much going on, and to be honest, once the busy-ness of the service passed, I was worn out and needed a break. I knew I needed to get to the notes, but I just just couldn't make myself sit down and do it. Then today, I finally got the cards I needed and decided to tackle the list--this also included cards I needed to send for other reasons as well. 

And you know what? Those stamps came in so handy. One less things to have to track down, pick up, etc. to finish the task. A small thing, but such a thoughtful one.

So yeah. Stamps. Who knew? 

I may start sending some myself though. What a cool idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment