Thursday, July 7, 2011

Lessons Learned--Seven Years In

As I mentioned in my sermon Sunday, July 1 is a momentous day for all United Methodist pastors. For some, like my brother Daniel, who began his first full-time appointment this year at Cowenton UMC in White Marsh, or Emily Berkowitz, the new pastor of Buckeystown UMC who I had lunch with today, it marks an incredible new beginning. For others, like our senior pastor Ken or myself, it marks an anniversary-- the start ofeight years and three years at Calvary, respectively. It is always a good opportunity to reflect on where we are in ministry. And for me, an opportunity to reflect on the lessons I've learned. It seems hard to believe that I'm entering my seventh year in full-time ministry. Here are JUST A FEW of the lessons of pastoral ministry I've learned thus far:
  • You've got to be prepared/open to becoming an expert (or as good as you can be) on lots of random things. For me, I've learned more about copier leases, feeding horses and Photoshop (among other things) than my seminary education would have suggested I would need to.
  • Listen. Often a host of problems can be avoided by just not speaking. Even if you can't listen, at least stay silent sometimes. This is a hard lesson for me :-)
  • Prioritize your tasks. You simply cannot get everything done, and certainly not all at once.
  • Adapt to new ministry settings. You've got to find a balance between adaptation and being yourself, to be sure. But if God calls you to a place and a people, there is work and growth to be had. Sometimes you'll learn things about yourself you didn't know, all because you were willing to explore new ways of being in ministry.
  • Everything changes. Roll with it.
  • At that same time though, know what you stand for. And stand for it. Just remember you don't have to be a jerk while doing so.
  • Take time off. And don't (or try not to) feel guilty doing so. If you don't it will catch up with you, then you won't be of use to anyone.
I've learned different kinds of lessons in the two appointments I've learned so far. At Jefferson, I learned a lot of leadership lessons, about being where the buck stops. At Calvary, I've been learned a lot about systems, about processes, and about not being able to make the last call. Both settings have taught me really vital lessons--ones that I continue to discover and learn.

Seven years in, and it's incredible to look at what these seven years have brought me both professionally and personally. I can't wait to see where the next seven lead--let alone beyond that. One thing is for sure, many lessons learned lie ahead. And hopefully more and more opportunities to use all those lessons learned to build up the kingdom!

No comments:

Post a Comment