Saturday, March 26, 2011

Follow-Up: Hell and Other Pastoral Issues

So...my blog post got a couple comments on Facebook, and brought forward a couple links--on top of which the United Methodist News Service late yesterday posted a story that summarizes things, and I think, makes the point I tried to make in my post--this wasn't really about the hell thing--that was the last straw, but rather the result of a long, and complicated situation.

Here is the pastor's (Chad Holtz) blog. Including the articles in question and his own view of the situation.

Here is an article my dad found giving the background of universalism in Christianity, especially the evangelical movement.

Finally, here is the UMNS article.

Really, I think this is an issue about how pastors use social media, or just generally present themselves, especially beyond the pulpit. I am always keenly aware that I can't separate my pastor and non-pastor time. I choose to have a public Facebook page and blog and I try not to post things I wouldn't say from the pulpit or just generally want anyone and everyone to see. I try to keep in mind that a challenge of such medium is the inability to immediately respond to people's questions or concerns. And yes, I have taken down posts when I've realized they are just really not a good idea...or just kind of not a good idea. But...I've also left some pieces up At any rate, I do try to do it all thoughtfully.

I also have to be aware of my Facebook statuses. Yep, that's right. Because some people will misinterpret them--like if I post that I'm busy, I've had people concerned I'm overwhelmed or such. Explaining that I wouldn't post if I was upset or overwhelmed, esp. with work, doesn't always appease folks, so I just generally try to avoid getting into that. Would it be nice to post whatever I wanted? Sure. But I'm a pastor and I'm never NOT that. And there are just some hills that aren't worth dying on.

Ultimately I think this pastor has some good thoughts, and his posts, at many other churches, would have hardly ruffled feathers. It's unfortunate the church he was at was not such a church, but it's also sad that after (according to the UMNS article) agreeing to avoid posting on controversial topics for the remaining few months he was there, he did so anyway. Should his speech be thus restrained? One would prefer not. But he was the one who agreed to it. At any rate, it all seems like a rough, sad situation, and I hope that God continues to work in powerful ways to bring healing and hope to both the pastor and his family and the congregation.

No comments:

Post a Comment