Wednesday, February 2, 2011

UMCRM Conference, Second Full Day

So today was a much shorter conference day, because they gave us the afternoon off. I briefly toyed with the idea of tagging along with Chris and the other Manidokan folks, but having Anna with me, either nursing or in the Moby wrap ALL day takes it's toll...on my back if nothing else. It was also a good chance to catch up, when I could, on work e-mails, etc.

At our morning session, Leonard Sweet gave a great talk using the creation account and tying it to Revelation. He talked about the importance of reading the Bible like and apple not an orange (take it whole, not layer by layer). And explained that by doing that, you catch things like the fact the God's first command in the Bible is to eat freely, and the last command is to drink freely. He also had a great bit about the importance of keeping your soil moist, and Chris got a kick out of LS saying that camp and retreat centers are moisturizers.

Bishop Peter Weaver also spoke talking more about Esther, the text for the conference. Anna was a bit fussy and nursed during his talk, so I didn't catch it as well.

We only had one workshop, and I went to one on the four areas of focus for the UMC. Again, Anna fussed a bit, so I missed some, but I got to hear about the four area: leadership, new faith communities, poverty, diseases of poverty. We didn't end up having a ton of time to talk about each, but folks shared some ideas of what their sites are doing.

So, a good day, but short. It's a mixed blessing, because a shorter day is easier with Anna, but I gain less. And at any rate, I'm missing the evening worship sessions because of Anna's bedtime. I'd feel bad if it was a presentation, but worship? I'll live.

If I had the booklet I could look up what I'm doing for workshops tomorrow, but Chris is off at worship with it, so it will be a fun surprise. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment