Monday, September 8, 2008

Changing Names (and other transitions)

So we returned from our honeymoon yesterday, and I've hit the ground running. As soon as Chris and I got back we headed to the Eagle Scout court of honor for one of the church youth, and after we got back and finally unpacked the car, I dived into e-mails. I get a bit ansy coming back to just get going. There's always an insane amount to catch up on, and that was certainly true since in addition to missing the three Sundays and two weeks I'd planned on, my sister's gall bladder surgery the week before it all really just threw me off kilter.

But I've been e-mailing, phone calling and such pretty furiously since early this morning, and though I'm still far from being caught up, I feel a bit like my feet might somehow get back under me some time this week...

I've also started looking into getting my name officially changed, and I'm anxious to just get that over with as well. So I may try to run to Hagerstown this afternoon to start working it out...boy it just takes a bit of focus!

It's strange (and I am told the strangeness will continue for a while at least) to get used to a new last name. At the court of honor, I was introduced 3 times in the course of the program, and each time it was a bit startling to remember that the Rev. Schlieckert they called was me! So yeah, it will be a strange adjustment.

I'm also, though trying to take advantage of this huge transition to look at other changes, like getting back into a good routine (I don't think I ever really hit my stride since returning from last year's mission trip), and really evaluating my priorities and how and who I am, naturally at least, as a pastor, and who I want to be. It's really easy to just get into a reactive mode, reacting to criticism or praise by avoiding or doing something someone wants, without really thinking through what's really happening. So I want to be more intentional about all that.

On top of all this, fall marks the return of conference meetings, etc., that always make my schedule a bit more hectic (and which always seem to be different days!). So hopefully this week I can get a handle on what's ahead this fall, and try to be proactive in setting up a schedule for the coming months...

...yeah, so I'm off to work on that...

:-) Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment